Monday 4 June 2012

In Bloom...


Everything seems to have been undergoing a bit of a growth spurt in the last few weeks. The blueberry flowers have gone and have been replaced by baby blueberries. I apologise in advance to those who think flowers have no place in a vegetable garden, but I love flowers and always grow some, and this is a bit of a flower-filled post! First up are my Sweet Williams, which are just coming into flower (nicely in time to be in full bloom when I am away).



After the rather dismal Spring/Summer we have had so far it has been great to see everything coming into bloom.


I really love alliums and am going to add some more to my flower bed next year. I had left some leeks to flower so I could take pictures of the flowers, but they were taking so long to come out that we had to dig them up so the pumpkin would have space to spread.



Finally, some vegetables! The flowers have begun to appear on the Desiree potato plants, but not on any of the other varieties we are growing this year (even the first earlies).



There are a few things still in the coldframe waiting to be planted out - sweetcorn, a pumpkin, a Lebanese courgette (the yummiest, most prolific courgette I have ever grown), borage, nasturtiums and marigolds (for pest detraction strategies), kale, and sweet peas.


Starting from back to front we have lupins, spinach, lettuce, and mixed salad leaves. With a few marigolds dotted around the side for good measure.


The fruits on the loganberry seemed to appear overnight. These look like they will be ready to eat in the next few weeks.


Finally, the rhubarb on a neighbours allotment has flowered. You are supposed to chop off any emerging  flowers as soon as you spot them, otherwise you won't get as many stems of lovely rhubarb. For whatever reason our neighbour has left his and I am quite pleased as I think it is a particularly beautiful flower. 



3 comments:

  1. Hello I've arrived here via UKVG, where I'm the administrator, and would like to point out that your blog URL there is incomplete as you've missed the second 'e' out.
    I've bookmarked here to have a proper look later on but it's the same with my potatoes with the Desiree flowering and others not, although I should say that they don't all.
    Happy gardening! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for spotting that! I have changed it now. That's what happens when I stay up too late! Lindsay x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! So I see, and it now works fine. We all do that! Flighty xx

      Delete