Sunday 17 February 2013

Arrival of the Seed Potatoes

The seed potatoes I ordered arrived on Saturday. They look okay. A couple are on the small side, but hey ho. They are now destined for chitting. These are Belana, one of the three varieties of first earlies that we are growing this year....

Belana (first early) seed potatoes

Below are the Shetland Black. At first glance these appear not to have the vivid purple-black colour I was expecting from the picture on the website, however if you look very closely you can see that they are quite dark underneath the covering of soil . Hopefully I will be in for a pleasant surprise when I dig them up.

Shetland Black (second early) seed potatoes


Finally, here are my maincrop potatoes for this year. These are Sarpo Mira. I only bought these because of their blight-resisting properties. Some people seem to like them, some don't. I've never tasted them, so I'll find out which camp I'm in later on this year.

Sarpo Mira (maincrop) seed potatoes

6 comments:

  1. These aren't familiar varieties so it'll be interesting to see how you get on with them Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I shall be glad when I am able to plant my potatoes. You seem to have selected some interesting varieties.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like to try something a bit different. I particularly like potato flowers so am looking forward to what appears on this years selection.

      Delete
  3. Shetland Blacks looks promising! :) I'd plant them myself if I had such potatoes.

    Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello! I chose them purely because of their interesting colour inside and out. I thought they might make the children a bit more enthusiastic about mashed potato :)

      Delete