Although a little chilly it was a lovely, sunny day yesterday. There are quite a few tidying up jobs that need doing so I thought I would try and strike a few off the list. I decided to weed last years runner bean/sweet pea plot, which the brassica's are going in this year. I dug up several of these rather unpleasant creatures, which I suspect are the larva of the black vine weevil (Otiorynchus sulcatus). However, I did read somewhere that they do not have legs and as you can see in my photo above this one did, so I am not certain. Anyone got any ideas?
While digging up the old runner bean plot I also dug up a 7-spotted ladybird (Coccinella 7-punctata), which I initially thought must be dead. However I moved him/her into the greenhouse and placed it on a strawberry plant we have in there. Ater a couple of minutes it started moving about as you can see below. I knew that ladybirds hibernated but I didn't think they hibernated underground.
After messing around for quite a while attempting to take these pictures (I am struggling a little with my new camera) I did finally manage to get some of my jobs done. I was hoping to sow some broad beans and aubergines, but was beaten by the clock :( I can't wait for the summer nights where it is still light at 10 pm!