Sunday 3 February 2013

Vine Weevil Larvae?


Although a little chilly it was a lovely, sunny day yesterday. There are quite a few tidying up jobs that need doing so I thought I would try and strike a few off the list. I decided to weed last years runner bean/sweet pea plot, which the brassica's are going in this year. I dug up several of these rather unpleasant creatures, which I suspect are the larva of the black vine weevil (Otiorynchus sulcatus). However, I did read somewhere that they do not have legs and as you can see in my photo above this one did, so I am not certain. Anyone got any ideas?

While digging up the old runner bean plot I also dug up a 7-spotted ladybird (Coccinella 7-punctata), which I initially thought must be dead. However I moved him/her into the greenhouse and placed it on a strawberry plant we have in there. Ater a couple of minutes it started moving about as you can see below. I knew that ladybirds hibernated but I didn't think they hibernated underground.


After messing around for quite a while attempting to take these pictures (I am struggling a little with my new camera) I did finally manage to get some of my jobs done. I was hoping to sow some broad beans and aubergines, but was beaten by the clock :( I can't wait for the summer nights where it is still light at 10 pm!

8 comments:

  1. Urgh, that's horrible. I'm not very good with pests. I hope the ladybird doesn't come to any harm, it's supposed to get cold again this week. The clocks go forward next month then we'll have a bit more light in the evening, I'm looking forward to the lighter nights too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wasn't too fond of it. I'm not very good at dealing with pests and tend to leave it to my Dad, who is far less squeamish! :)

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could well be one, have a look here at the second last paragraph - http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=234
    I like the ladybird photo! Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not wholly convinced that they are vine weevil larvae. We haven't had any issues with plants dying from no apparent cause. Also they seems a little dark in colour and a bit too big. Whatever they are, I don't like them :) x

      Delete
  4. Thanks to Trevor over at http://ukveggardeners.com my larva has been identified as a cutworm larva.

    ReplyDelete