Thursday 9 August 2012

Pumpkin's Progress


Look at my pumpkin. I can't believe how much it has grown in the last few days - it has almost doubled in size. I am so pleased as several of my pumpkins rotted for some reason. I wonder how big it will be by next week? This weekend is forecast to be hot and sunny, so hopefully the heat will spur it on.


The issue I was having with my pumpkins and courgettes rotting from the flower end seems to have resolved itself. Although nowhere near as prolific last year, my yummy Lebanese courgette is starting to thrive - with 4 budding courgettes growing on one stem of the plant!


In my quest to keep the children occupied we went for a long walk to our local beach today. It's a 1 hour walk from the nearest road, which means you almost always have it to yourself. How lucky are we? Anyway, while we were there I spotted this lovely plant...



I thought this plant was so pretty. I guessed that it was some kind of sea thistle, however after a bit of research tonight I found out that it is sea holly (Eryngium maritimum). It is protected as it is classed as endangered. However, in the 17th and 18th centuries its roots were widely harvested as they were thought to be an aphrodisiac. According to Plants For a Future its leaves and roots are edible.



2 comments:

  1. It is the same as with my squashes like yours they have doubled in size over the last few days - trouble is the slugs have found them as well so I have had to try and get them off the ground with canes as they were being nibbled. Happy to read that someone elses courgettes haven't been as prolific as usual - still that's no bad thing I usually have far too many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I know what you mean. By mid-August we are usually beginning to get a little bit fed up of courgettes! None of mine have been got by slugs yet. It's been pretty dry here for the last few weeks, so hopefully they are on the decline.

      Delete