Wednesday 1 August 2012

Carrots a Roaring Success (For Once)


After all the doom and gloom of this year something has cheered me up - carrots. For the last two years our attempts at growing carrots have failed dismally, however this year they have been a real success story. I like them in the same way that I like potatoes, in that you don't know what you're getting until you pull them up! 


These are the first courgettes I have picked this year. My plants are  way behind last year, much smaller, and not producing much in the way of anything. I'm also having a problem with the ends of the Lebanese courgettes (on the left) and my pumpkins going rotten. I don't know why this is happening and its something I've never encountered before. I've already lost 2 of my pumpkins and 1 courgette. With the courgettes I am trying to get round it by picking them when they are pretty small, however I obviously can't do this with the pumpkins. 

4 comments:

  1. I'm a bit scared to pick my carrots. Each year they have been nibbled by carrot fly maggots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your carrots looks good
    For carrot fly, use an organic product called Garlic Wonder (google it) or it is available online from LBS Warehouse
    Short Carrots take approx 24 weeks to form fully from sowing, so bare this in mind to get the maximum crop next time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I seem to have managed to avoid the carrot fly by growing my carrots in a raised bed and by covering them in netting. Off to pick some more now :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great carrots - shame about the courgettes. This happened to some of mine at the beginning but now they are coming through ok - don't know what causes it.

    ReplyDelete