Thursday 26 July 2012

Runner Beans at Last


Getting to the allotment in the school holidays is not proving easy. To complicate matters it never seems to do much more than rain recently. Anyway, I managed to squeeze in a brief visit yesterday, and was delighted to find that in my absence a couple of baby runner beans have appeared. Yes, there is only two or three, but hey its better than none. By this time of year the runner beans are usually a dense mass of foliage, this year they are sparse and very see-through. I don't think 2012 will be a year where I get fed up of picking/eating runner beans.


This is one of my baby pumpkins. I have two pumpkin plants this year, each of which have undergone an impressive growth spurt in the last week or so. I have three or four pumpkins on each plant (however one went rotten/got eaten by something). I am not going to pull some of them off as I don't want to grow a monster pumpkin this year. Last time I did that I managed to drop one and it rolled into the greenhouse breaking it! The courgettes have finally got some decent sized courgettes on them and I think I might actually be able to pick some tomorrow.


On a different note, we went for a lovely long walk yesterday. The children were superpleased to find some wild raspberries (below), I have never seen one before so I was quite pleased as well. I didn't get to try one though as they ate them all.







3 comments:

  1. I'm having no luck with runner beans this year and have just sown a third lot! If they grow, and don't get eaten, I may get some pods in mid October.
    Wild raspberries are delicious so I'm not surprised that you didn't get to eat any!
    Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. My runner bean situation is the same as yours - so I have resown - hope I get a late harvest. Wild raspberries eh - don't think I have ever seen any.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't resown any because I thought it was too late. Hope you both have good luck with yours!

    ReplyDelete