Tuesday 15 January 2013

Daffodils, Leeks, and a Frosty Morning Walk


I finally got around to digging up a few of my leeks. These are destined for my winter leek soup. I think I will probably dig up the remaining 20 or so this week also. It is strange, many of the leeks at other plots on the allotment threw up a flower long before Christmas, however ours haven't done that yet, which is good news.


Last Friday I spotted a bag of 30 mixed daffodils reduced in Asda to £1.25. As you can see some of them had already sprouted. I know its a bit of a gamble, but I really would like to see the plot looking a bit more cheery at this time of year. So, in the ground they have gone. Fingers crossed I will have some lovely yellow daffodils come early March.


The runner beans are moving to a new part of the plot this year. My Dad has been busy preparing the bean trench and uncovered 2 of these boulders, in total we have now discovered 3 huge stones. The one he discovered last year took 3 people to lift it!


It was such a gorgeous day today I went for a walk up a local hill called the Hoad. There was a dusting of snow on the top. The sheep seemed to be enjoying their breakfast!


There was a good covering of snow on Coniston Old Man and the Furness Fells...


I love Winter when it's like this! A month or so of bright blue skies, frost, and a little dusting of snow would cheer me up no end. I hope the weather stays like this until Spring. #pleasenomorerain!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely pictures and mighty fine leeks - most of mine threw up flower spikes very early on - no idea why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm sort of tempted to let some flower as the flowers are so pretty. I noted that my neighbour's leeks flowered way back in November. I can only think that it has something to do with the weather.

      Delete
  2. Your leeks look great, I weeded mine out by accident unfortunatley so I will have to wait till later on in the year for homegrown leeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Oh no:( I bet you don't make that mistake again!

      Delete
  3. Those daffodils should flower but probably later than March. Flighty xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope they do, I will be keeping a close eye on their development :) x

      Delete