Tuesday 1 January 2013

Happy New Allotment Year! Yay!

I haven't posted for ages :( I have unintentionally neglected my blog since the Autumn, why? I got ill in late October, which culminated in the removal of my appendix. This left me unable to do much for quite a while and what with a major backlog of work, the downright nasty weather (my house escaped major flooding by just a few feet - I feel very lucky), and the onset of all things Christmas, the allotment has been left abandoned by me. 

Anyway, my enforced downtime gave me some time to think about what to grow next year. This year the pumpkins were a great success - I grew 8 of them on 2 plants and they all reached a good size. Inspired by Matron at Down on the Allotment I did think about attempting to grow a monster-sized pumpkin, but after a bit of thought decided against it as I've enjoyed eating my way through my little pumpkins. Plus, I don't really fancy attempting to move - or even worse chop up - a huge pumpkin. My youngest son saw a picture of Turk's turban squash in a gardening magazine and couldn't believe that they were real, so I thought I would give them a go. 


On the squash front, I am also going to give spaghetti squash a go, however I am unsure whether or not to try growing butternut squash again as it was a total disaster last season.

Squash Vegetable Spaghetti Seeds


So, what else am I going to grow? I couldn't resist the mixed aubergine below as they looked so enticing on the seed packet. I'm not quite sure how I will squeeze them into the greenhouse but I will try!

Aubergine Mixed Seeds

Other than these seeds, and buying 3 more raspberry plants. I haven't thought much about the coming season. I am just hoping that the weather will be better this year. It was a beautiful sunny day today so hopefully that is a good omen for the rest of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment